Friday, April 15, 2005

Coming soon to a blog near you.

What Rush had to say.
So Rush was talking about Al Gore’s new cable venture that supposedly reflects “the point of view of young people: "What the hell is that, Al? What the hell is the point of view of young people? Blow jobs, that's what they're doing out there. They're out there getting oral sex all day long, that's what they're talking about."

The kind of people who are offended by that sort of thing were perhaps offended. And I’ll bet some who saw the tactical value in being offended by that sort of thing feigned offense. At any rate, Rush later responded to whatever outrage he had engendered with: "I am going to apologize not for saying what I said, but I'm going to apologize if it offended anybody."

He also called Al Gore’s new cable channel a “bj network.” I always thought Al was more of a wanker myself. Rush ought to know what a wanker is.

A random memory
I was watching television with my daughter, who must have been around five or six at the time. A commercial touting a movie appeared, at the end of which the announcer said, “Coming soon to a theater near you.” So my daughter asked me, “How do they know that?”

Okay, another random memory.
I was watching television with my daughter, when a commercial touting a doll called “Angel Barbie” appeared. So my daughter asked me, “Does that mean Barbie’s dead?”

Thomas Friedman
I listened to him plugging his new book, THE WORLD IS FLAT, on FRESH AIR the other day, and found myself, once again, extremely irritated. His thesis is that the world is now “flat,” meaning (I think) that we can create empires over the Internet.

He’s one of those guys who want to be deep and crowd-pleasing at the same time. All of his metaphors and examples seem more appropriate to PowerPoint than prose. He compared 9/11 to 11/9 ( the date that the Berlin Wall fell), saying these events illustrate the up and down sides of living in a flat world. He called the age of exploration, “Globalization 1.0.” The 21st Century is “Globalization 3.0,” shrinking the world from “size small to size tiny.” It’s also “levelling the playing field,” a goddam phrase I would love never hearing again. He also said, “More people than ever now can plug and play.” Give them an iPod, and they will come.

Who said that?
"As the liberal, anti-Christian dogma of the left has been repudiated in almost every recent election, the courts have become the last great bastion for liberalism. For years activist courts, aided by liberal interest groups like the A.C.L.U., have been quietly working under the veil of the judiciary, like thieves in the night, to rob us of our Christian heritage and our religious freedoms."

I like the idea that the ACLU is a thief hiding under the veil of the judiciary. It’s kind of hard to visualize, but it can be done. But what does the thief do with our Christian heritage and religious freedoms once they’ve been stolen? Is there a favorite pawn shop? A black market for morals? Is there some kind of religious freedom laundering scheme that has yet to come to light?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. K asks, "But what does the thief do with our Christian heritage and religious freedoms once they’ve been stolen? Is there a favorite pawn shop?"

Ebay, my friend, ebay! That's where America shops to get great deals on Christian heritage and other religious stuff.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home