Friday, February 25, 2005

mo blog

H07, Will Robinson
The wife and I sat down on the couch the other night to watch HAMMER (with Fred Williamson) and SUPERSIZE ME (with Vin Diesel, I think), but when we put the former disc into good old Panasonic RV22, it stopped, and displayed the mysterious message: “H07.” Same occurred when we inserted the latter disc, and another from our collection. Disappointed, we turned to the VCR and a viewing of DRACULA’S DAUGHTER, from our personal collection. Excellent movie, by the way. About vampires.

Today, at the urging of my wife, I applied Google liberally to “H07,” and found dozens of complaints from people whose Panasonic DVD players had stopped working, shortly after their warranties expired. The disc drive just dies, apparently. It can be revived with WD-40, briefly, but for all intents and purposes it is an undead machine.

If you’re thinking of buying a Panasonic DVD player, in other words, don’t. At least I only paid fifty bucks for it, and it worked fine for two years.

Extraction!
I went to the dentist, thinking I’d lost a filling, but instead, I found I had a fractured tooth, which was extracted. The dentist informed me that my mouth had been emitting a warning message, “H07.” And I didn’t even have a warranty!

In other news:
From the New York Times: “Kansas Prosecutor Demands Files on Late-Term Abortion Patients.”

From the article: “Attorney General Phill Kline, a Republican, said that he needs the information to prosecute criminal cases.”

Uh-huh. Sure he does. Suuuure he does.

Fiendish old people.
NextUSA, a conservative organization allegedly composed of the same folks who did the infamous Swift Boat ads, has targeted AARP, which opposes privatizing social security. Its ad shows a soldier with red “X” over him on one side, two men kissing on the other, and the caption: “The REAL AARP Agenda.”

At least the retired folks are too old to have abortions. They’d probably just have them right and left, in between bridge games, and scraping money together for medications.

Oscar malaise
The New York Times has also informed me that Hollywood is experiencing “Oscar fatigue.” A spokesman for the academy told the Times, an academy spokesman, John Pavlik, who acknowledged an active discussion of the issue in his organization. "How often can you see the same person win the same award and not be fatigued by it?"

You want fatigue? Kill that person winning the same award, and drag his body across the Mojave Desert, that’ll give you fatigue. Watching the Oscars is not, by any stretch of the imagination, fatiguing. What it is, is boring. Boredom and fatigue are not the same thing.

Oh, the Chris Rock controversy? There is no controversy! It was just something Matt Drudge wanted to generate, for reasons known only to him. I predict Chris Rock too will be boring. I will however avoid fatigue and follow my usual practice of not watching the Oscars.

Duck’s Breath
The Duck’s Breath web site is up. www.ducksbreath.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger BonzoGal said...

I heard on NPR the other day that the new leader of Nigeria has a "Praise Singer" who walks in front of him and yells out his godlike attributes and accomplishments to the adoring throng. Perhaps you need a Praise Singer to more effectively present the new Duck's Breath website? A little Tower of Power fanfare, some flaming banners, and a Praise Singer in the front... Think about it. I'm available, and will take potato chips in payment.

Congrats on the new site!

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home