Wednesday, May 18, 2005

snoop blog

George Galloway
It was fun to see a bit of the Brit style in the US Senate, even if George Galloway is rather an iffy sort of person.

Here is that of which he stands accused:
"Iraq granted George Galloway allocations for millions of barrels of oil under the oil-for-food programme. Moreover, some evidence indicates that Galloway appeared to use a charity for children’s leukaemia to conceal payments associated with at least one such allocation. Lastly, according to senior Saddam officials, the oil allocations were granted by Iraq because of Galloway’s support for the Saddam regime and his opposition to UN sanctions."

High points from his testimony:
"I am not now, nor have I ever been an oil trader and neither has anyone on my behalf. I was an opponent of Saddam Hussein when British and American governments and businessmen were selling him guns and gas."

"You have nothing on me, Senator, except my name on lists of names from Iraq, many of which have been drawn up after the installation of your puppet government in Iraq."

"I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is that Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns."

"I gave my heart and soul to stop you from committing the disaster that you did commit in invading Iraq, and I told the world that the case for war was a pack of lies."

He also said that accusations against him contained a “schoolboy howler,” and described a Senator as “not much of a lyncher.”

Further
Andrew Roth of The Guardian, wrote that Galloway "Suffers from shin kicking of leaders, over-the-toppism and pariah worship; glories in his ability to rub more people the wrong way faster than anyone else."

From Wikipedia (why actors shouldn’t carry weapons dept.)
In May 2002, at the Cambridge Union, American actor John Malkovich stated that he would like to shoot both George Galloway and the journalist Robert Fisk. On being told of this, Galloway responded "if it was a joke it is not very funny and if it wasn't a joke, he will be hearing from my lawyers.”

Hmmm
Reuters ran a story about “the dark underside of the United States” being on display at the Cannes Film Festival.

Lars von Trier presented MANDERLAY, with Danny Glover and Willem Dafoe, about “a fictional Alabama plantation where people are living in 1933 as if slavery were never abolished.”

Gus van Sant's LAST DAYS is about the final days of Kurt Cobain, and Atom Egoyan’s WHERE THE TRUTH LIES stars Kevin Bacon as “an over-sexed, over-drugged celebrity.”

“Canadian David Cronenberg, who directed A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, said he could have set his film anywhere but chose a small Midwestern town because it fitted the story best.”

Oh, and SIN CITY was shown as well.

I don’t know if we’re supposed to be alarmed by this, but if you think about it, there aren’t that many movies that show the bright upperside of the United States. I don’t think that’s a reflection of any kind of anti-American animus. I think it shows that we like to see big beefy guys shooting guns, thin reedy men succumbing to drug abuse, aliens emerging from actors’ adbomens, and of course trucks blowing up.

Of these moviemakers, only Gus Van Sant is American.

Lars von Trier: Up Close
Dane Lars von Trier also gave us DOGVILLE, another anti-American movie, sort of, and DANCER IN THE DARK, a pro-American movie (I think) starring Icelandic wailer Bjork as a woman who works in a factory. She’s slowly going blind and is rehearsing to be Maria in a local production of SOUND OF MUSIC. Her best friend at the factory is played by Catherine Deneuve (!!), and the guy who wants to be her boyfriend is played by creepy Peter Stormare (the guy who wasn’t Steve Buscemie in FARGO). The excellent David Morse plays a policeman who comes to a bad end. As does Bjork. It’s the weirdest movie I’ve ever seen. And not necessarily in a good way. Bjork throws herself into the part, though.

Lars Von Trier told Reuters: "America has to do with 60 percent of my brain and all things I experience in my life, and I'm not happy about that. I'd say 60 percent of my life is American so I am in fact an 'American' too. But I can't go there and vote or change anything there. That is why I make films about America."

He said he “would be happy to watch a film slamming his home country of Denmark.” Sounds like a challenge to me!

DENMARK BOOGIE
Hans Christian Andersen, Isak Dinesen, Nils Bohr, Brigitte Nielsen, and Victor Borge team up for a bank heist that goes horribly wrong…..

Or we just re-do HAMLET again. Now there’s a bleak view of Denmark.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang, ms. murphy is so cute in sin city :)..

9:35 PM  
Blogger S. LVLVLY said...

Snoop on Mork & Mindy

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home