Sunday, August 14, 2005

I hate us!

Break out the imaginary champagne!
I’m a liberal myself, but I find these kinds of wan celebrations more depressing than anything. This if Frank Rich in the New York Times:

“….[A]nother Ohio marine reservist who had served in Iraq came close to winning a Congressional election in southern Ohio. Paul Hackett, a Democrat who called the president a ‘chicken hawk, received 48 percent of the vote in exactly the kind of bedrock conservative Ohio district that decided the 2004 election for Mr. Bush.”

Uh, Hackett lost. A “near-victory” is not a victory. Ask Al Gore. Ask John Kerry.

Cindy Sheehan
I’m a liberal myself, but I think maybe grief may have unhinged her. What does she hope to accomplish in Crawford, Texas? What does she want? A meeting with President Bush? Why? He’ll see the error of his ways? Give her a hug?

Why are the media assembled in Crawford? What news, exactly, is being made there?

And what are all those other lefties doing there? Do they want a hug from the President too?

On public radio the other day, I heard Laura Flanders ask a reporter “on the ground” in Crawford if she thought the vigil was some kind of peace movement “tipping point.”

Of course it isn’t! It’s just another media event! We’re circling around this poor woman’s grief, waiting for her meltdown, like jackals around a wounded zebra! I hate us!

Tipping point.
When did this ridiculous and unmeasurable concept get accepted as a real thing? And why?

From James Wolcott’s blog:
“…I hope that Cindy Sheehan doesn't get led astray by all this publicity and go too far. No one doubts her pain, sorrow, sincerity, and commitment. But I worry that if she insists on staying in Crawford, Texas to meet the president again, Camp Casey might attracts all sorts of ‘undesirable elements’ that could damage her cause and provoke a column from Richard Cohen of the Washington Post arguing she's in danger of losing her ‘credibility.’”

Too late?
Ms. Sheehan, according to today’s Drudge Report, "You get America out of Iraq and Israel out of Palestine and you'll stop the terrorism.”

She also said, "My son was killed in 2004. I am not paying my taxes for 2004. You killed my son, George Bush, and I don't owe you a penny...you give my son back and I'll pay my taxes. Come after me (for back taxes) and we'll put this war on trial."

And further: "And now I'm going to use another 'I' word - impeachment - because we cannot have these people pardoned. They need to be tried on war crimes and go to jail."

President Bush? The ball’s in your court. Pull out the troops, give Israel a call about this whole Palestine thing, give Ms. Sheehan her son back, and impeach yourself.

Animal movies
What is with the popularity of the goddam penguin movie and the movie about the guy devoured by grizzly bears? What is this sudden “nature is red in tooth and claw” movie thing? I hate us!
AMERICAN IDOL judge Paula Abdul is in the clear.
Whew! The nation dodged a bullet on that one.

WHY DID THIS STORY EVEN SEE PRINT! WHY AM I REPRINTING IT? I HATE US! ME ESPECIALLY!
From AP:
Rod Stewart's daughter, Kimberly Stewart, is trying to make amends to Jennifer Aniston in the wake of her remarks in Blender magazine.

Stewart told "Access Hollywood" that she regrets calling Aniston "homely" during a recent interview with the publication.

In that interview, Stewart said about Aniston, "I like her 'cause she's, you know, homely."

Stewart goes on to say that Aniston has to have something else going for her because "it's not like she's gorgeous or anything."

Stewart said she learned of Aniston's hurt feelings by reading Aniston's revealing interview with Vanity Fair.

Aniston said reading Stewart's opinion of her literally ruined her night.

"I got my feelings very hurt," Aniston said.

Stewart said she feels "awful."

"It was just one of those things you say and then you bite your tongue," Stewart said.

Thanks to Michelle M. for this one.
From AP:
“The cab driver who picked up a couple suspected in the slaying of a Tennessee prison guard during a courthouse escape said Thursday the two told him they were going to an Amway convention but their story just ‘didn't really seem to wash…. They didn't strike me as the Amway type because to be honest they weren't very pushy about their product and I've dealt with them before so — that was my only real suspicion.’

So if you’re an escaped convict attempting to disguise yourself as an Amway salesperson, be sure to boost your non-existent product line to strangers cheerfully and aggressively.

Guantanamo reading
Islamic terrorist suspects’ favorites are Harry Potter and "anything by Agatha Christie," according to Reuters.

The Washington Times, tracking this fast-breaking story also said that …"SAHIH BUKHARI, a book of sayings and deeds by the prophet Muhammad compiled by the early Arabic scholar Muhammad bin Ismail Bukhari” is also very popular.

1 Comments:

Blogger Merle Kessler said...

Wow! This EGTY really sounds like a worldbeater. I don't know whether to give EGTY my life's savings, or that guy in Nigeria!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home